Saturday, June 15, 2013

Stuffed Bell Pepper Casserole



Summer is here and bell peppers are in full force.  Our garden has produced a ton of tomatoes and bell peppers this year. Here's one of our tomato harvests.




Now, what to do with all of them.  I loved stuffed bell peppers but they take a bit of time and they aren't the easiest thing for children to eat (or if I'm honest, me).  So, here is a take on the stuffed bell peppers recipes out there but in casserole form.

Ingredients:
-1 can corn
-1 can black beans
-3 cups cooked rice (I always use brown, but use whatever you have)
-2-3 large size bell peppers
-1 onion (I had red onion, I ended up using about 3 really small ones from our garden)
-1 can diced tomatoes or 3ish fresh garden tomatoes, diced
-1-2 cans tomato sauce
-3 cups Cheddar cheese (use as much or as little as you want or have-we are a cheese family!)
-olive oil
-cumin
-cayenne pepper
-salt
-garlic powder

Start by sauteing the peppers and onions in a skillet with some olive oil.


10 minutes later they should be nice and soft.  Add your spices and diced tomatoes.  Keep them on the heat and let some of the tomato juices evaporate.  **Add the spices to taste, I used about 1/4tsp. cayenne, 1tsp. salt, 1 heaping tsp. garlic, because we LOVE garlic, and 3/4tsp. cumin.  I always eyeball my spice measurements.


In another large skillet put your rice, beans and corn in the pan to heat up.


After the juices are evaporated out add the pepper and onion mixture to your rice mixture.  Add the tomato sauce and stir it up.












Next, place half of your mixture in your glass cake size pan, and top that mixture with half of your cheddar cheese.  Repeat with the rest of the mixture and topped off finally with another layer of cheese.





Place in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.  Check when it's bubbly.  Then you know it's done.  Let sit about 10-15 minutes until you serve. - I know, but resist the temptation otherwise the first bite will burn your tongue and that's the worst.  No taste buds for this delicious dish.

Then eat up!


Hope you enjoy this recipe.  I always find a recipe and improvise it.  I encourage you to do the same.  Try to add things your family likes, or take away things they don't.  This recipe was adapted from The Suburbs To The Sticks recipe and I made it vegetarian to fit our lifestyle and made minor tweaks to how I prepared it.  Next time, if I have some spinach or kale on hand I'll add a little bit of that chopped up (one way to sneak in some greens for the family).  I also might try to substitute the tomato sauce for salsa next time and see what the flavor difference is.

Happy Eating!

Heather Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment